Pages

Thursday 18 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey

Day 3: Groovy Man (The 1970’s)

Activity 1: Ready to Roll
In the 1970s one of the most common television programmes was called ‘Ready to Roll.’ It was broadcast on Saturday afternoons and hosted by a man named Roger Gascoigne. During the show, Roger would introduce music videos and then play them for the TV audience. He also invited famous people to come onto the show and perform songs that were currently popular.  

Watch the following three clips that were shown on the Ready to Roll programme:


When you have finished, rank the clips in order from your most favourite (#1) to your least favourite (#3). Post your rankings on your blog.

(#1)Ray Columbus and the Invaders
I did ray Columbus and the invaders because that song is very catchy and because these other schools and my school sang it in front of our parents but not only that I also like the song because that was a song my dad always played for me.
(#2)Golden Harvest
I chose this one secondly because it sounded old fashioned also it sounded groovy.
(#3)New Zealand Underdogs
I put this one in last because it was alright but not my favourite it sounded like they were talking in an other language.

Activity 2: Bell Bottom Pants
Fashion in the 1970s was quite unique. Take a look at the pictures of a ‘typical’ 1970s outfit and tell us, on your blog, two things that you like about 1970s fashion and two things that you don’t like about the fashion of the day. I am not a huge fan of the patterned pants. What about you?


Like
Dislike
I really like the bright colours of the womens clothing. .
I am not a fan of the women’s pants because I don’t like the way they flare out at the bottom  
I also like the women’s shoes because they look very stylish and hip. They also go with the outfits perfectly.
I also don’t enjoy the top she is wearing because it just looks awkward and weird  with a big square gap.
I enjoy the colours of the men’s outfits because they don’t clash with the women’s outfits  and they are nice and subtle.
For the men’s outfits I do not like the patterned pants either because the pattern is not nice at all and it doesn't go with the shirt.
I like the belts on the men's outfits because it pulls everything together and completes the outfit.
I don’t like how big the collars are on the shirts because they look a bit to weird.
Bonus Activity: A Bilingual Schooling System
For much of the past century, schools in New Zealand taught students in only one language – English. In 1972, Ngā Tamatoa member, Mrs. Hana Jackson, submitted a petition to Parliament to ask the government to include the teaching of Te Reo Māori (the Māori language) and Māori culture in New Zealand schools. We still use petitions to this day when we want an organisation (e.g. a school) to make a change.

Think about your school. What is one thing that you would like change. Would you like to learn about different things? Maybe you think school should only be open 3 days a week?

On your blog, write a letter to your principal to try and convince him/her to make the change. Ensure that your letter is polite and respectful.
Dear Mr Cockaly
I think that one day we should all bring our family's over on the last day of the year and tell our experiences of what we did in St Pius X School. while we do that we should also do something like a end of year show for all of the parents staff and kids. I am also thinking if we can try to put up some quizzes at least everyday to help with there education. Just for my last thing I would also like to ask if we can go on a trip at least every year.

BONUS POINTS: 18



2 comments:

  1. Hey there Lily thank you for sharing your thoughts on the fashion of the 1970's. I like the way you have presented the information using a table. It makes it really clear and easy to follow and read. I have to agree with a lot of your statements, I like how you have also given a reason for your stance on each of the aspects of fashion.

    I think overall the women's fashion looks better than the men's. I don't really like the lady's flared pants though, but all of the colours are pretty cool. The men's fashion is a bit odd. Their hair looks funny, their shirts are all tucked in and one of them is wearing ugly pants.

    I think I definitely prefer the fashion of today. What about you?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora again Lily,

    Activity 1: Ready to Roll.
    Thanks very much for ranking these three video clips from the popular 1970s television programme, Ready to Roll.
    It's so cool that your school sang a song by Ray Columbus and the Invaders— what song was it?

    Bonus Activity: A Bilingual Schooling System.
    I love your letter to your Principal! What excellent requests and suggestions! I really like that you think everyone should bring their families in for everyone to talk together about their experiences at St Pius X School.
    What a wonderful suggestion!
    Don't forget to sign off so that Mr. Cockaly knows who he's going to respond to.
    Where do you think the school should get to go to if you're granted permission to go on a trip?

    I look forward to your response!

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete