Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey

Day 3: It’s All in the Family

Activity 1: The More, the Merrier? victorian family.jpg
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?





Why I would enjoy being a member in such a large family is because I am already a member and I have such a large family. I like being in a large family be cause I am not the oldest. I like having a big family because sometimes they have past away and there are always story's to tell.

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog. You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.

Ko maunga kiekie te maunga.

Ko tamaki river. te awa (or roto or moana).

Ko sione te papa, nō pakuranga ia

Ko zana te mama, nō glen innes  ia

Ko poitirere tōku ingoa

Ko glen innes tōku kainga noho

Nō reira tēnā koutou,

tēnā koutou,

tēnā tātou katoa.

Bonus Activity: Fun Family Facts

Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example, my Nana plays the bagpipes!

Cousin Maea-Going to the beach.
Cousin Szaskia-Get a tan.
Cousin Mamani- play outside.




BONUS POINTS: 6


12 comments:

  1. Hi Lily,

    I'm so glad that you've decided to participate in the Summer Blogging program!!! And you come from a big family so you can imagine what it would have been like to be born in New Zealand a hundred years ago - how wonderful! I'm pleased to know that you are interested in hearing the stories of the people in your family who have passed away. There are so many things we can learn from the people who have gone before us.

    The only comment I have about your entry is that I would suggest you write in full sentences, if you can. When you're giving a description of something such as in your examples of members of your family and their favourite summer activities, it would be helpful if your answers were written out more fully.

    Otherwise, keep up your good work!!! I live in Canada and so I'm going to be interested in reading more of your blogs.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Leslie,
      I thank you for commenting on my blog I appreciate what you have said that was very nice of you. Next time I will comment in full sentences.
      I appreciate all the activity's you have set for the clusters.

      All the best

      Delete
  2. Hey Lily,
    Nice job, I really like the people that you have chosen and I really like what they like to do in summer. Keep it up, Lily. Have a great holiday and Merry Christmas to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lily,
    It is great to see you blogging this Summer because it will help you with your learning towards the year of 2018. I really like how you told me that you are apart of such a big family and that you do not like to be the youngest of the family.
    Maybe if you read the instructions for the Bonus Activity you could tell us 2 facts for each person.

    Mikaela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lily,
    Nice job on picking the people that you have chosen and I like to see more interesting things in your blog

    Merry Christmas,
    Silia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there lilly,

    I enjoyed how you explained why you like living with such a big family because of all the story's and memory's you can tell when your older.

    Why do you enjoy being the youngest in your family?

    Keep up the terrific work!

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Silia,
      I really appreciate your comment you have said I have been on your blog and i've also been commenting on your blog.

      Have a nice christmas Lily

      Delete
    2. Hi there Mikaela,
      I thankyou For your wonderful comment I really appreciate you looking at my work thank you for reading it.

      Merry christmas
      Lily:)

      Delete
    3. I agree Katelyn, the stories and memories are two great reasons why living with a big family is such a good thing!

      Billy

      Delete
  6. Hi Katelyn,
    Thank you for your comment katelyn I really liked it I will be visiting your blog after I have done all the other schools.

    All the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Dianne,
    thank you for having a look at my blog post. I have done a comment on your wonderful work.

    Merry christmas & happy new year.
    Lily:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Billy,
    Thank you For commenting on my work. I like to say thank you again.

    Many thanks:)

    ReplyDelete