Pages

Monday 15 January 2018

Summer Learning journey

Week two: activity 1,2& bonus activity
Activity 1
Use your search engine to find a picture of another famous cathedral.
Post a picture of the cathedral on your blog.
Underneath the picture tell us: the name of the cathedral, where the cathedral is located,
when it was built, and how long it took to build.
Image result for Salisbury Cathedral
The Name of the Cathedral is called Salisbury Cathedral.
The Cathedral is located at 6 The Close, Salisbury, United Kingdom.
The Salisbury Cathedral was built in 1220.
The Salisbury Cathedral took 38 years to build.


Activity 2 - The Right to Vote
On your blog tell us what you think about the fact that women were not allowed to
vote in Saudi Arabia until 2015. Is it fair? Why or why not?
I think that its not fair because women and men always work hard.
I think that women work a little harder than men because women are always
doing washing and men just think they re strong and carry heavy things.
I f the men has rights then the women should.


Bonus Activity - In Flanders Fields
As the new century dawned, New Zealanders settled into a period of relative calm. The calm lasted for about 15 years but came to a sudden end in 1914 when World War I erupted in Europe. The war lasted for almost five years and claimed the lives of 18,000 New Zealanders.

It also claimed the lives of thousands of men and women from countries around the world. Every year, we remember these brave men and women on ANZAC Day (25 April). Many people go to a special Anzac Day ceremony where they read a special poem that was written for the fallen soldiers. The poem is called ‘In Flanders Fields’ by John McCrae.

Read the poem. On your blog, tell us what you think of the poem. Do you like it? How does it make you feel?

It makes me feel very lucky to live in a beautiful, safe country like New Zealand. It also makes me feel sad for those who died in the war and for their families. I think that we are very lucky that they went to war and fought for our freedom. What do you think?
On your blog, tell us what you think of the poem. Do you like it? How does it make you
feel?


I like the poem because I like it how it rhymes. I also like the poem because it has words
that are very interesting and very touching. I like the poppys the most because it shows
that they were on that field fighting for us and for what they did for us.

BONUS POINTS: 10



1 comment:

  1. Ciao Lily,
    my name is Cia. I am a Ako Hiko Summer Learning Journey commentator who will be working with various bloggers over the summer break.

    Activity 1:
    Wow it’s a magnificent structure, I can’t believe that it only took 38 years to build! Thank you for including the exact location for readers who might be keen to visit the cathedral. Perhaps next time you could include picture of the inside, I bet it’s beautiful and I’m sure readers are curious!

    One of my favourite cathedrals is the St Basil’s cathedral located in Moscow, Russia. Have you ever seen it? It reminds me of a fairytale castle, if you have time maybe you could check it out!

    Activity 2:
    I agree with your opinion that it is not fair for women to only be able to vote now in Saudi Arabia. I think equality is something that a lot of countries need to work on in order to provide a world where everyone is considered an equal. Did you know that, recently in Iceland, it became illegal to pay men more than women? I think it’s a wonderful step for gender equality, what do you think?

    Bonus Activity:
    You are right it does have rhyming words in the poem. I agree that the poem was touching and interesting; I thought it was quite sad too. I like that you’ve mentioned the red poppies in your response and their significance in regards to the memory of our fallen soldiers. Perhaps next time you could include a picture in your post to help paint the mood of how you felt about the poem.

    It was a joy reading your work, I look forward to reading more this summer!

    Toe feiloa’i fo’i ('See you again' in Samoan),

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete