Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey

Week One:Day One:Activities 1,2 + Bonus Activity

Day 1: Arriving in New Zealand

It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.


Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?

Three facts about Maui

1. Since Maui was the youngest he didn't get to do what his brothers did like go out hunting and fishing.

2. Maui was a very mischievous person. He always tricked people from his village, so none of the gods liked Maui.

3. Maui had power to transform into anything he wanted.

Maui and the Sun:
This story is about when Maui and his brothers went to slow the sun down. Because the sun was keep on going fast from day to night only in an hour and the brothers wanted to slow the sun down. Because it was too fast for them to go fishing because they weren't allowed to go fishing when it was very night time. When they got up to the sun they saw the sun rising and they wanted to ask the sun if the sun can go a little bit slower. In the day and the sun said NO so the four brothers pulled the sun and told the sun if you do not command what we say then we will make the sun go slower for you. And when they said that they slowed the sun down and the sun was happy after everything. 

Activity 2: Setting Sail

The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.


Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…


Letter to Chanel Moa

Hi Chanel, When I heard that I was moving to New Zealand I felt a bit sad and annoyed because I didn't want to leave where I came from and go to a place where I didn't know anyone. When I was going to New Zealand the voyage felt very cool and I saw lots of interesting types of birds and also I met new people on the voyage because they were travelling with me and my parents. When I arrived in New Zealand I felt a little bit weird because everyone was speaking English to me but I didn't understand it because I didn't know how to speak in English. Until when I turned 4 I learned how to speak in English. When I learned how to speak English I started to get to know people well in my playgroup. Once I started to speak English I met more people and more friends.

Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

waka-ama-40461.jpg












Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

My Opinion:
I would be in a Waka Ama race because it would help me with a lot of things like my weaknesses and my strength.

BONUS POINTS: 10





6 comments:

  1. Hi there Poitirere, my name is Billy and it is nice to meet you! I am blogging with the Summer Learning Journey programme and I look forward to blogging with you over the break. Thanks for completing a few activities already, you have done a great job, so keep it up!

    I appreciate your honest opinion with the Waka Ama comment. I like how you said it was easy at first glance but once you tried it you realised how tough it actually was. It certainly is difficult and requires a lot of upper body strength!

    Do you play any other sports?

    Keep blogging!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billy,
    I thank you very much for comenting on my blog I appreciate what you have said.
    As you asked yes I do play some other sports but at the moment I am not. The spots that I play are Rugby and Netball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Lily, thanks completing the other two activities as well.

    I really like that fact you included about Maui being mischievous, what a great word.
    I remember him tricking people a lot of times in different stories. Why do you think he was like that?

    I also enjoyed reading your letter you wrote to Chanel but I was hoping you might include a bit more detail about the journey. You could talk about the waves, the weather, the sea creatures, or perhaps the food or lack of it!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Billy again,
    For reading my work. I think that he was tricky because he didn't get to do what his other brothers did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Lilly. Hi my name is Leilani, I am a year 7 student becoming year 8 next year and attend Pt England School this year. I see you are doing the Summer Learning Journey so am I and tahnk you for that lovely blog comment on my blog, appreciate it very much Lily. Thank you!

    May I just say WOW!, thanks for the link to your blog I'm glad I'm seeing it, your work is amazing. I love the great details you've put in by the way. What great effort you put into it, it shows so much dedication to the Summer Learning Journey Program. My favourite activity is the Waka Ama one, about giving your opinion. Its all ways good to be honest with your opinion! 👍👍

    What is your favourite Activity if you had to pick one out of all of these?

    I looking forward to checking out your blog tomorrow, Keep up the fantastic work, Your a STAR!⭐⭐

    Sincerly Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leilani,
    I also appreciate your comment it was stunning to see you look back at my blog. I was shocked by the way your work is. Keep up the good work you are doing and have a happy new year.

    All the best: Lily

    ReplyDelete